How to Apply for a disabled parking bay
To apply for a disabled bay please complete our application form and submit the requested documentation.
» Apply for a disabled parking bay
Guidance notes for completing the Application Form
Please read these notes carefully before completing the application form.
- Disabled parking bays can be legally provided on the public highway for disabled persons who have serious difficulties in walking.
- Applicants must have a Blue Badge. Blue Badge Applications are dealt with by Kent County Council on 01622 605020.
- The driver of the vehicle MUST be registered at the applicant’s address.
- The applicant should be in receipt of or have proof of entitlement to the following:
- If under 65 years of age - entitlement to the higher rate mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (copies must be submitted with the application).
- If 65 years or over – entitlement to the Higher Rate of Attendance Allowance if applicant was 65 years or over when entitlement was first claimed (copies must be submitted with the application).
- Other entitlement may be allowable e.g. war pension (copies must be submitted with the application).
(Disability Living Allowance enquires should be directed to Department of Works and Pensions on 0845 7123456)
If you cannot provide evidence of entitlement to any disability benefits you may be asked to provide a letter from a Medical Practitioner stating details of your disability and lack of mobility, and your suitability for the provision of a bay.
- We will assess the highway conditions and carry out informed local consultations before proceeding. Adjoining and opposite neighbours will be informally consulted in writing. The application will be assessed and processed, subject to sufficient funding being available for the legally necessary Traffic Regulation Order.
- An interim bay may be put down first in some cases, under the Parking Services Manager's discretion. Within 12 months of the application being received, we will promote a formal Traffic Regulation Order to control the way the bay is used. This may involve an advertisement in the local press. Anyone objecting to the bay can put forward his or her views which have to be considered by an authorised council committee. If all checks support the application and no objections are received, then the process can continue.
- If the committee uphold the objections then the interim bay will be removed. If the objections are overruled the Traffic Regulation Order will be formally made. In considering objections it may be necessary for the committee to hold a site meeting to consider any problems.
- Once a Traffic Regulation Order is in place, the use of the bay will be restricted to blue badge holders only. Parking Attendants may issue penalty charge notices to vehicles not displaying a valid Blue badge whilst parked in the bay.
- The applicant will not have exclusive rights to the parking bay. Anyone holding a valid blue badge may park in the bay.
- We will not inspect disabled bays for wear. The applicant should inform us when the bay is faded. The bay will then be checked and, if necessary, will be remarked.
- Review of the bay will occur every 1 to 3 years, which may result in removal of the bay if the criteria are no longer met. If circumstances change before this, then the bay may be removed earlier. It is the duty of the applicant to inform us of any changes in their circumstances which could affect the continued provision of the bay.
- If you have any queries, please telephone Parking Services on 01304 872422.