The shopfront grant is for properties that are occupied or have been empty for less than 6 months.
Who can apply?
Small businesses (up to 10 employees) will be eligible to apply for a shopfront grant of up to £1,000 if:
- you are the freeholder or leaseholder (with at least 4.5 years left on the lease) of the commercial property
- the property is at ground level, over 10 years old and you can answer YES to the following questions:
1. Is the property within a priority zone? Map showing priority zones »
2. Can the property be seen clearly from the street?
3. Will the renovation make a positive difference to the surrounding area?
The grant covers
- External renovations or improvements to front elevations of buildings (areas visible from the street), including, but not limited to:
- repainting of shop fronts in suitable colours
- external lighting
- security grilles and/or security glazing
- repair of external stonework and brickwork
- repair and reinstatement of guttering and down-pipes
- Internal repairs to the ground floor of the property
- A completed application form
To apply you will need
- Evidence that:
- You are the freeholder or leaseholder or written consent from your landlord to carry out the work
- You have funds available for your share of the renovation works
- You have any required permissions including planning permission
- A quote for the work
- Recent photos of the property showing it’s condition
- Photographic I.D.
Apply for a shopfront grant »
What happens after you apply?
Completed applications (applications that have all the relevant paperwork and evidence required) will be assessed monthly. Once the application has been assessed we will contact you to confirm if your application has been accepted. We will not consider any applications that are incomplete.
When will the grant be paid?
After a grant has been approved the money will be paid when:
- Evidence of the expenditure has been provided (VAT invoices)
- The work is being carried out satisfactorily (we will inspect the works). This includes planning and building control sign off, advertising consent for new signage and awnings plus any required licensing certificates
Terms and conditions
- Properties must be over 10 years old
- Grant applications must be made before any work takes place
- Our staff must be allowed to inspect the works and see all relevant documentation
- Any grant money awarded for must be repaid within 5 years of the payment if:
- The property is sold
- The property is empty for a total of more than 4 months in any 12 month period
Questions or further information
If you have any queries or need further information or advice please email email@example.com.