Dog breeding licence
You must have a licence to keep a breeding establishment for dogs.
Apply for a licence
Before we issue a licence we will arrange for a vet to inspect the premises.
The cost of a licence is £235 plus vet fees and lasts for one year.
Apply for a Dog Breeding Establishment licence »
We will not grant applications is you are disqualified from:
- holding a licence for the breeding of dogs
- keeping a pet shop
- having custody of animals
- the boarding of animals
We must make sure that the following conditions are met
- The dogs will at all times be kept in accommodation suitable in respect of construction, number of occupants, exercising facilities, temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
- The dogs will adequately supplied with suitable food, drink and bedding materials, adequately exercised and visited at suitable intervals
- Reasonable precautions will be taken to prevent and control the spread among dogs of infectious or contagious diseases
- Appropriate steps will be taken for the protection of dogs in the case of fire or other emergency
- The dogs will adequately supplied with suitable food, drink and bedding materials, adequately exercised when being transported to and from breeding establishments,
- Bitches are not mated if they are less than one year old
- Bitches do not give birth to more than 6 litters of puppies each throughout their life
- Bitches do not give birth to a litter of puppies within 12 months of the last litter beginning on the day the litter was born.
- Accurate records in the form prescribed must be kept at the premises and made available to an authorised officer or veterinary surgeon/practitioner.
Contact the Licensing Section
Telephone: 01304 87229