To operate a pet shop must you must have a licence.
The sale of animals at pet fairs and the commercial sale of pedigree animals are not covered by this licence.
Apply for a licence
We will arrange for a vet to inspect your premises before we issue a licence.
- Grant of new licence: £221 (+ Vet fees)
£114 is payable on application and non-refundable.
The remaining £107 will be payable when your application is approved.
- Renewal £193
Categories of animals which a pet shop may be licensed to keep are:
- dogs and cats (puppies and kittens)
- small domesticated mammals e.g. rabbits, guinea pigs, gerbils, hamsters, rats, mice, chinchillas, chipmunks and ferrets
- parrots, parakeets and macaws
- primates eg marmosets
- fish and aquatic invertebrates
- other vertebrates
This list is purely for guidance only and is not comprehensive.
It is an offence to:
- wilfully obstruct or delay any person in the exercise of his powers of entry or inspection
- carry on a business of selling animals as pets in any part of a street or public place or at a stall or barrow in a market
- sell an animal as a pet to a person known or believed to be under the age of 12 years
Contact the Licensing Section
Telephone: 01304 872295