Cost of Living

Useful advice and support with the Cost of Living

The cost of living is rising and having an impact on us all. If you are struggling to pay your bills, there is help at hand. The following information advises you where to go for additional support from Dover District Council (DDC), Kent County Council (KCC) and other partners.

Help with heating/boiler repairs and insulation

There are funding streams that DDC can access for households that live in the least energy efficient homes and have inadequate heating or lack insulation. These schemes are focussed on helping residents on a low income who are vulnerable to living in a cold home (elderly/ health conditions) or in receipt of certain benefits. 

If you think you may be eligible, please call 01304 872414 or email

Help with your energy bills

Every household in the UK will get £400 towards energy bills this winter. You don't need to apply, the money will be paid automatically in six instalments between October 2022 and March 2023 and you won't need to pay the money back.

This year anyone that normally gets the winter fuel payment for pensioners will get an extra one off-payment of £300. This will be paid automatically. Visit our discount and energy grant schemes page for information about other ways you can save money.

If you are unable to pay your energy bills, please visit our Energy page for advice.

Support for Council Tax

For additional support to pay your Council Tax, please visit our Council Tax Support page

Help with housing costs

You should speak to your landlord or mortgage lender first if you can't pay your housing costs. If you're a council tenant, you should contact our housing team

If you're homeless or at risk of being homeless we can give you help or advice. You need to complete a quick online assessment first.

Get help if you're homeless or at risk of losing your home

If you are homeless today, please call us on 01304 872265 and a Housing Options Officer will contact you. You will still need to complete the referral form. 

Further support

DDC’s Community pages offer a community services directory which provides information on many different local community services who can help you in all areas of life.

Kent County Council have an emergency welfare scheme for people that urgently need help with bills and other household costs.

GOV.UK's Help for Households campaign has advice and support on lots of household costs, including bills, childcare, and benefits.

The Government’s cost of living pages give advice on income and disability benefits, bills and allowances, childcare, housing, and travel.

The Government website also has a handy tool checker for advice on saving energy in your home.

For help paying your water bills, please refer to Ofwat’s customer assistance page.

Local food charities and community organisations

Food banks are charities that give food to people who can't afford it. Dover Foodbank and Deal Foodbank are available for short-term emergency food in a crisis.

Dover, Deal and District Citizens’ Advice can help with employment issues, debts, housing, applying for benefits, food vouchers, immigration issues, tax, consumer issues, financial matters, relationship, and family issues.

There are a few children's centres in the district. You can go along to meet other parents, have fun or get information, advice and support.

Money Advice Hub

A scheme is being operated by Citizen Advice to support people in Kent who are struggling financially or need support to manage the rising cost of living through its new Money Advice Hub. The service is completely free and confidential. People can access the service online by visiting (with video call and webchat functions) or by calling the freephone number on 0800 808 5622 by phone from Monday – Friday between 8am – 8pm. It can also be accessed using one of five kiosks installed in community spaces in Gravesham, Cliftonville, Ramsgate, Aylesham and Ashford.