Britain leaving the European Union (Brexit)
Prepare for EU Exit
To find the latest guidance and information on what these changes are, how they could affect you, and what steps you can take to prepare, go to gov.uk/euexit. You can also sign up for email alerts about EU Exit.
Highways England has announced that new measures to improve Kent’s resilience when services across the English Channel are disrupted will be ready for use from 25th March. Find out how it will work and how it will affect your journey.
For the latest up to date traffic information visit Traffic England.
Please see our webpage for further information and advice. We are also asking local businesses to complete our survey to help us understand the possible impact of Brexit on you and your preparation plans.
Banksy Mural, Townwall Street, Dover
On 23 June 2016, the United Kingdom (UK) voted to leave the European Union (EU):
- Nationally, the result of the referendum was that 17.4 million people (51.9% of the total) voted to leave the EU, and 16.1 million (48.1%) voted to remain.
- In the Dover district, 40,410 people (62.2%) voted to leave and 24,606 (37.8%) voted to remain in the EU.
The UK Government invoked Article 50 of the Treaty of the European Union in March 2017, triggering a two-year process of negotiations, culminating in the UK formally leaving the European Union on 29 March 2019 or at the end of any agreed transition period.
As the situation currently stands, the UK is set to leave the EU on 29 March 2019. Leaving the EU means there will be a number of changes taking place that will affect businesses, citizens, EU citizens living in the UK and UK nationals living in the EU. To find the latest guidance and information on what these changes are, how they could affect you, and what steps you can take to prepare, go to gov.uk/euexit.
What challenges and opportunities will EU Exit bring?
- Withdrawal from the EU involves a complex set of negotiations and there are still many uncertainties.
- Our role in the Brexit process
- Information about the Dover Brexit Taskforce
- Our reports on the 'Potential Impact of Britain leaving the European Union (EU) on the Dover District'
- Signpost to information and advice to help businesses prepare for Brexit
- Advice and information for individuals on preparing for EU Exit
- Links to information on Brexit