Home > Council Tax > Council Tax energy rebate

Council Tax energy rebate

The government is giving out a £150 rebate to Council Tax payers in bands A-D (and E if you get disabled persons reduction) to help with energy costs. The payments are not a discount on your Council Tax and won't show on your bill.

You must have been living in your property on Friday 1 April 2022 to get the payment.

If you get Council Tax Support and don't pay Council Tax, you will still be eligible for the rebate as long as you meet the other conditions.

We have also been provided funding for a discretionary support scheme.

This page is updated with the latest information about the energy rebate scheme. Please don't call us to discuss the scheme as we are unable to give any further information than is on this page.

Discretionary support scheme

We have decided to use the discretionary fund to support vulnerable households in the district, as follows;

  • Award £150 to all recipients of Council Tax Support who live in properties in Council Tax Bands E to H
  • Award £150 to all households in receipt of a disabled person's reduction on Council Tax, in Bands F to H
  • Award an additional £35 to all households in Council Tax Bands A to D where maximum Council Tax Support is in payment.

You must have been living in your property on 1 April 2022 to get a payment.

We have identified who is eligible and we will pay the rebate to qualifying households by the end of July. If you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit and we are able, we will pay your discretionary rebate payment directly into your bank account. 

If you pay another way, we will add your rebate to your Council Tax account which will reduce your future monthly payments. If you'd like to have the money in your bank account instead, you can apply for a Council Tax refund

Any household who needs help with utilities, food, or essential living costs may apply to the Household Support Fund, which is being administered by the council's partner organisations.

Main rebate scheme

If you pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit

If you are eligible for the rebate and pay by Direct Debit, we should have now paid the £150 into the account from which your Direct Debits are taken.

If you don't pay by Direct Debit

If you are eligible and don’t pay by Direct Debit, we have written to you asking you to provide your bank details. If you haven’t yet done this, we have now allocated your payment to your Council Tax account. If you would prefer to have the money in your bank account instead, you will need to complete a refund form

We can only pay the money into your bank account. We can’t pay you any other way.

Some properties are not eligible for the rebate:

  • Exempt properties - properties that are exempt from Council Tax (except student households, properties occupied only by people under the age of 18, properties occupied only by severely mentally impaired people, and annexes occupied by dependent relatives)
  • Empty properties - unoccupied properties that are unfurnished
  • Second homes - unoccupied properties that are furnished and used as a second home
  • Properties where the person responsible for paying the Council Tax (or would be were the property not exempt) is a local authority, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the government or governmental body.

Overdrawn accounts - First right of appropriation 

We will pay your energy rebate payment into the bank account you tell us about. If that account is overdrawn, when we pay the £150 into the account your bank may ‘swallow up’ the funds, to pay for any fees and charges you have incurred with them. If that applies to you, you may wish to consider using the ‘First right of appropriation’. 

More details on this can be found on the Money Advice Hub website

If this applies to you, contact your Bank for further advice on how you apply.

Scam alert

We have been made aware of some scam calls about the government’s £150 Council Tax energy rebate. We will not call you over the phone to take payment or bank details, nor will we ask for any other personal information over the phone about this. 

If you are in any doubt please call us on 01304 872199. If you have been a victim please contact us and the Police straight away, and report it to Action Fraud.