Easing of National Lockdown restrictions | Visit our Coronavirus (COVID-19) section for information and support for residents and businesses. View Dover Districts latest Covid figures here.

Dover District’s latest COVID-19 figures

Number of cases for the seven days to

Rolling rate for the seven days to . England average is

Total cases (up to )

Total deaths within 28 days of a positive test (up to )

7-day rolling case rate compared to England average

Status: Below average (OR Above average if to the right of the dividing line)

Graphic results

All data sourced from coronavirus.data.gov.uk. Please see website for more information about the data and how it is calculated.

Home > Environment > Environmental Health > Air Quality > Environmental Permitting

Environmental Permitting

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated activity in England or Wales.

This includes:

  • Vehicle re-sprayers
  • Waste oil burners
  • Cement works
  • Mobile crushing plant
  • Petrol Vapour Recovery permits for petrol stations.

A full list of regulated activities is available from the Environment Agency website:

Environment Agency - Guide to Environmental Permitting »

It is illegal to operate a process without the operator holding a permit.


All the processes are regularly inspected to ensure that they are meeting their operating conditions.

Applying for a Permit » (Environment Agency)


Who is the relevant Regulator?

Sites which are likely to have a greater environmental impact are known as Part A(1) processes and Permits for these sites are issued and controlled by The Environment Agency. These sites will be subject to more rigorous controls due to their increased potential to have a significant impact on the environment.

Other processes which require a Permit to operate will be classified as either a Part A(2) process or a Part B processes depending on their potential to harm the environment. Both A(2) and Part B processes are regulated by Dover District Council and an operator of such a process must apply for a Permit. Examples of operations which require such Permits are:

  • Car re-sprayers
  • Cement batching plants
  • Petrol stations
  • Dry cleaners
  • Other users of large quantities of solvents

If you are an operator of an installation and you think you may need a Permit you can determine which category of process you are by viewing the activities listed in Schedule 1 of the EP Regulations.

We hope to provide an online applications service through Business Link shortly.

 IPPC Permit Register

Further Information



Email:    mailto:ddc.envprotection@dover.gov.uk