Skip to content


Use on private property

Motorbike scrambling often takes place on private property as the bikes do not have to comply with the Road Traffic Act on such land. This should only take place with the owner's consent and not across any public footpaths. 

Information for landowners

If you allow your land to be used for motorbike scrambling and noise complaints are received the Council have a statutory duty to investigate under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. If officers are of the opinion the noise is a statutory nuisance then may result in legal action being taken against landowners who permit the use or where inadequate measures have been taken to prevent access to the bikes. 

If you do allow for your land to be used then you should check this complies with the Town and Country Planning (Generally Permitted) Development Order 1995. This permits an agricultural field to be used for non-competitive motorbike scrambling, for up to 28 days in a calendar year. If land is being used for motorcycle racing, including speed trials, or practising for such events then the use is permitted for only 14 days in a calendar year.

Report a Noise Problem »


  • 01304 872428 (during office hours)
  • 01304 821199 (outside office hours). Please note the service is only available between 8pm and 3am on Friday and Saturday and at the same time on Sundays when the next day is a public holiday.  In the majority of cases you will need a reference number before a visit can be made.
  • email:


. Keep Me Posted.