Community Housing Grants
What is the Community Housing Grants Scheme?
We have been allocated government funding to invest in the promotion of, and enabling the delivery of, community led housing.
The Community Housing Grants Scheme supports the project costs of community organisations that need some revenue support to deliver community led housing projects in their area.Community Housing Grant
Grants may be used:
- to help set up a group
- for organisations to attend training to learn new skills
- for costs associated with carrying out consultation to gauge public opinion
- as a contribution towards fees in connection with the progression of a development – site survey costs, for example
The main aim of the Government funding is to enable new affordable homes to be built through community led housing projects.
Applications not directly connected with the delivery of new Affordable homes through Community Led Development are not eligible for this fund.
Who can apply?
Applications are welcomed from community organisations and groups who:
- Are based within the Dover District
- Are seeking the grant to support the delivery of affordable Homes via a community led development project within Dover district
- The local community must be integrally involved in making key decisions throughout the project
- A community organisation must play a long term role in ownership, management or stewardship of the homes
- Benefits to the local area and / or specified community must be clearly defined and legally protected in perpetuity
- The homes to be provided will be genuinely affordable and occupied by people unable to meet their housing needs in the private market.
The following types of organisation are NOT eligible to apply:
- Registered or for-profit/business organisations
- Individuals (for example, for personal sponsorship)
- District, County, Town or Parish Councillors
- Organisations in receipt of a Public Precept (i.e. Town and Parish Councils).
See our help page for our fact sheet called 'What type of group are we?'
How much can we ask for?
There is no minimum grant level. Organisations may only make one application within the grant round.
Level One – up to £3k – Set up costs and project initiation
- Setting up the organisation, getting advice on legal structures
- Attending training and workshops
- Holding community consultation events
- Producing publicity materials
- Understanding the potential cost of a project, exploring alternatives and sources of funding.
Level Two – up to £10k – Project facilitation funding
- Costs involved in developing a project plan – business planning and financial appraisal
- Legal costs related to setting up the organisation
- Engaging consultants to advise on land acquisition, planning, design, etc
- Consultation events
- Site investigation
- Financial viability advice / assessments
What kinds of activities will be funded?
The grant must be used to pay for clearly defined costs associated with projects which demonstrate a direct link to the delivery of a community led housing project.
Applicants are expected to provide accurate costs/quotes for costs in the application form. We reserve the right to request evidence to support the accuracy of the project costs outlined in your application to ensure the project meets the eligibility criteria.
How to apply
Any applications we receive that are not able to demonstrate all of the criteria above will not be eligible for the DDC Community Housing Grant Scheme.
Before completing your application, please read these notes in full to check whether:
- Your group is eligible to apply
- Your project costs are eligible
- You have an adequate Constitution
- You have all the information and documents you need to be able to start and finish the application form
Please also read our Terms & Conditions.
Need some help before applying? We are holding some informal sessions for potential applicants to find out more about the scheme and discuss their application with a Community Housing Programme Officer. For more information please see the, Community Housing Training Courses