Skip to content

Self Build Register

We are inviting people to sign up to a Self Build Register to find out how much interest there is in self-build housing across the district.

The register is a statutory requirement and will help us find out more about the individuals and groups of individuals who want to build or have their own home built. 

In the future, the register may be used to try and match those with an interest in starting a self-build project with landowners who might have suitable plots of land available for housing.

Any proposal for self-build housing will need a formal planning application and will be subject to the relevant policies set out within the development plan for the area.

Additional information on self-build homes is available through the Self-Build Portal which provides encouragement and advice to people who want to build their own home.  Alternatively the National Custom and Self Build Association brings together developers, architects, planners, financial and warranty providers, manufacturers, self builders, community groups and local authorities to develop, share and promote best practice in self and custom build.

Further information on local training courses and events for those interested in embarking on a self-build or community-led housing project can be found via the Community Housing page. 

Register your interest » 

What is self-build housing?

Self-build is where you organise and design the construction of your own home. Below are some of the self-build options available:

  • Self-build one-off home: you manage the design and construction process and are physically involved in part or all of the construction of your home
  • Contractor built one-off home: you manage the design process and appoint a contractor to build the home to your specification
  • Kit home: you select your preferred kit home and possibly establish the foundations. The kit home company then erects the home
  • Independent community collaboration: you work with others to acquire a site to split into plots then organise the design and construction of your own home
  • Supported community self-build group: a social landlord or the Community Self Build Agency helps you build a group of homes together. More on the Community Self Build Agency.
  • Custom build – where you work with a specialist developer to deliver your own home. There are also different options available with this method as follows:
    • developer built one-off home: a developer builds a single home that the self builder completes
    • developer led group project: a developer will organise a group and builds the homes that the self builder completes.

The Statutory Self Build and Custom Housebuilding Register

The Self Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 requires relevant authorities, including District Councils, to keep a register of individuals and associations of individuals who are seeking to acquire serviced plots of land for self-build and custom housebuilding. The definition and operation of the register is prescribed by The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations 2016.  The Act requires that prescribed authorities must have regard to each register that relates to its area when carrying out its functions in relation to planning, housing, the disposal of any land of the authority and regeneration.

How to apply for entry in the register

To register you need to meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • You must be aged over 18
  • You must be a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
  • You must want to acquire a serviced plot of land to build a house to occupy as you sole or main home

Once we have received your completed form we will:  

  • Determine your application within 28 days of receiving it
  • If the application is eligible, we will make an entry on the register and let you know that this has been done in writing within 28 days of determining the application. If the application is from an association, we will only notify the lead contact as identified in the application
  • If the application is not eligible we will write to you to explain the reasons within 28 days of determining the application. If the application is from an association, we will only notify the lead contact as identified in the application

Applications for entry onto the register:

  • must be made in writing
  • may be made as an individual or an association
  • provide specific information prescribed by regulations

Register your interest » 

To remove or change your entry in the register please contact the Regeneration Delivery team on 01304 872477 or email



Tel: 01304 872477



. Keep Me Posted.