Shop Front Grant Scheme
The shop front grant scheme is for shops that are occupied or have been empty for less than 6 months. It covers 100% of refurbishment costs up to £5,000.
Who can apply?
Established businesses will be eligible to apply for a shop front grant of up to £5,000 if the shop is at ground level and you can answer YES to the following questions:
1. Is the property within a priority zone? Map showing priority zones »
2. Can the shop be seen clearly from the street?
3. Will the renovation make a positive difference to the surrounding area?
The grant covers
- External renovations or improvements to front elevations of buildings (areas visible from the street), including, but not limited to:
- repainting of shop fronts in suitable colours
- external lighting
- security grilles and/or security glazing
- repair of external stonework and brickwork
- repair and reinstatement of guttering and down-pipes
To apply you will need
- A completed application form
- Confirmation you are the registered proprietor and the director of the company
- Evidence that:
- You are the freeholder or leaseholder or written consent from your landlord to carry out the work, including Land Registry Title information
- If the property is a lease, then evidence that there is at least 5 years remaining on the term
- You have funds available for your share of the renovation works if the total cost of the works is over £5,000
- You have obtained planning permission, building control consent and landlord's consent if necessary
- Two comparable quotes for the work
- Recent photos of the property showing it’s condition
- Photographic I.D.
Apply for a shop front grant
What happens after you apply?
Completed applications (applications that have all the relevant paperwork and evidence required) will be assessed monthly. Once the application has been assessed we will contact you to confirm if your application has been accepted. We will not consider any applications that are incomplete.
The deadline for completed applications is 1 December 2023.
When will the grant be paid?
After a grant has been approved the money will be paid when:
- Evidence of the expenditure has been provided (VAT invoices)
- The work is being carried out satisfactorily (we will inspect the works). This includes planning and building control sign off, advertising consent for new signage and awnings plus any required licensing certificates
Terms and conditions
- Grant applications must be made before any work takes place
- Our staff must be allowed to inspect the works and see all relevant documentation
- Any grant money awarded for must be repaid within 5 years of the payment if:
- The property is sold
- The property is empty for a total of more than 4 months in any 12 month period
Apply for a shop front grant »
Questions or further information
If you have any queries or need further information or advice please email firstname.lastname@example.org