Market Square, Dover
20 September 2019
We aim to improve connectivity between the existing town centre and the St James complex.
The centrepiece is a new splash water feature to replace the current fountain.
- The roadway will be reduced in dominance and traffic slowed, to provide a safer and more generous environment for pedestrians
- The water feature includes water jets together with flat areas of paving outside of the splash fountain areas, where a fine film of water passes over the paving allowing people to sit on benches for a cooling paddle
- The introduction of trees along King Street also softens the appearance of the street, creating an avenue to pass through and provide some summer shade
- There is improved provision for current and future bus services to Market Square and St James plus facilities for coach party drop offs using both left and right hand coaches
- Parking and delivery layouts have been adjusted
- The area will be an attractive focal point, encouraging visitors and shoppers to stay for longer
Enlarge plan »
Flying Horse Lane
Dover Town Centre was once full of small alleys and lanes like this. Most have been destroyed and so this is a valuable heritage asset to the town. Since the opening of the St James development it is noticeable that this lane is now much more regularly used by pedestrians and greater footfall brings greater opportunities.
Enlarge this plan »
Tel: 07747 036707