Green energy grant
Small businesses (up to 50 employees) in the Dover district can apply for a green energy grant for up to 50% of their costs, up to £10,000.
The aim of the grant is to help small businesses:
- save carbon
- become more energy efficient
- save money
Who can apply?
Small businesses are eligible to apply for a green energy grant if:
- you are the freeholder or leaseholder (with at least 4.5 years left on the lease) of the commercial property
- your business only uses one property
- the property is over 10 years old
- The project will have a significant carbon saving, for example:
- changing from fluorescent to LED lighting
The grant must be approved before any work takes place, retrospective applications will not qualify.
What does it cover?
The grant covers (subject to planning conditions), but is not restricted to:
- Insulation and draft proofing
- Solar panels and solar thermal
- Upgraded windows
- LED lighting
Any or all of the above works may be subject to planning permission, listed building consent or both as well as building regulation compliance.
To apply you will need
- A completed application form
- Evidence that:
- You are the freeholder or leaseholder or written consent from your landlord to carry out the work
- You have funds available for your share of the costs
- You have any required permissions including planning permission/listed building consent
- Two quotes for the work where possible
- Recent photos showing the item/s that need upgrading
- Photographic I.D.
Depending on your project we may also ask you for:
- A copy of your EPC rating if available
- A summary or your current energy consumption, if available
What happens after you apply?
We will assess your application within three weeks of submission and contact you if we need any further information. Once the application has been assessed we will confirm if your application has been approved.
After a grant has been approved the money will be paid when:
- Evidence of the expenditure has been provided (VAT invoices)
- The work has been carried out satisfactorily and in accordance with relevant regulations (we will inspect the works). This includes planning and building control sign off
The final £1,000 will be withheld until satisfactory completion of the works.
Terms and conditions
- Grant applications must be made before any work takes place
- Our staff must be allowed to inspect the works and see all relevant documentation
- You may be required to repay the grant if the property is empty for a total of more than 4 months in any 12 month period.
- You must agree to the Council sharing your details in our promotional activity. This will include a press release and social media content with a photo and/or quote from your business.
Apply for a green energy grant »
Questions or further information
If you have any queries or need further information or advice please email email@example.com.
Green Recovery Voucher Scheme
Kent County Council (KCC) has launched a new voucher scheme to enable local businesses to implement green solutions to help with future growth.
The Green Recovery Voucher Scheme can help firms build back from the pandemic in a way which is sustainable for the environment. They can redeem a voucher worth up to £1,500 for green goods and services in the following areas:
- Design, supply and installation of energy efficiency measures.
- Review, development and supply of waste reduction interventions.
- Review, development and supply of sustainable transport solutions.
- Design, supply and installation of biodiversity solutions.
- 'Net Zero' transition planning.
Find out more about the Green Recovery Voucher Scheme »