Small business rate relief
You can get small business rate relief if you:
- only use one property, and its rateable value is less than £15,000
- use more than one property, and the rateable value of each of your other properties is less than £2,900, with the rateable value of all these properties combined being less than £20,000.
You can only get small business rate relief on one property.
Small business rate relief is not automatically applied to your account, you must apply for it if you think you qualify.
Where the ratepayer is a person the ratepayer must complete the application, and in any other case for example a company, it must be completed by a person with authority to do so on behalf of the ratepayer.
How much you will get
- If your 2017 rateable value is £12,000 or below, small business rate relief will be given at 100%.
- If your 2017 rateable value is between £12,001 and £14,999 inclusive, the small business rate multiplier is used and relief will be given on a sliding scale - from 100% at the bottom of the range to 0% at the top.
- If your 2017 rateable value is between £15,000 and £50,999, the small business rate multiplier is used only (even if you have more than one property).
Backdated small business rate relief
You can apply for small business rate relief at any time during the current valuation period and for a further six months after the end of this period. You can also apply up to six months after the date the council is told about a change in the rateable value that means the property would be eligible for relief if this is later.
On 1 April 2017, the 2017 rating list came into effect. This means that you can apply for small business rate relief up to and including 30 September 2017 and still have this backdated to 1 April 2010. For applications received on the 1 October 2017 and later, small business rate relief can only be backdated to 1 April 2017.
If you take on an additional property
For those businesses that take on an additional property which would normally have meant the loss of small business rate relief, the government has confirmed that they will be allowed to keep that relief for a period of 12 months. If you take on an additional property, inside or outside of the Dover district, you must contact us straight away.
If something changes
If something changes that could affect your small business rate relief you must tell us straight away.
Contact Business Rates
Contact the business rates team
Phone: 01304 872199