Non-domestic properties are exempt from paying business rates for the first three months that they are empty and unoccupied. After this time, most businesses must pay full business rates.
Some properties can get extended empty property relief:
- industrial premises, such as warehouses, are exempt for a further three months
- listed buildings are exempt until they become occupied again
- buildings with a rateable value under £2,900 are exempt until they become occupied again
- properties owned by charities are exempt if the property's next use is likely to be wholly or mainly for charitable purposes
- community amateur sports club buildings are exempt if their next use is likely to be wholly or mainly for a sports club
After the exemption period ends business rates will be charged at 100%.
Please note that a change in ownership or tenancy will not affect the right to an exemption. For example, if someone purchases or leases a property that has already been unoccupied for over three months a new period of exemption cannot be applied.
Contact Business Rates
Contact the business rates team
Phone: 01304 872199