Home > Community > Community Safety & CCTV > Anti-Social Behaviour

Anti-Social Behaviour

What is anti-social behaviour?

The definition of anti-social behaviour under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 is that it is 'behaviour likely to cause alarm, harassment or distress to members of the public not of the same household as the perpetrator'. 

If anti-social behaviour puts you, your family, or your property in immediate danger, you should contact the police on 999. 

In relation to individual neighbour disputes it is unlikely that DDC or Police will to address those issues that don’t affect the wider communities. We suggest that you visit Resolving neighbour disputes: Overview - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) for an overview of advice we would give you.  


Kent Police        

Emergency 999 service

when should this be used?  

  • A serious offence is in progress.

  • Someone is in immediate danger or risk of harm. 

  • Property is in danger of being damaged.  

  • A serious disruption to the public is likely. 

Kent Police non-emergency reporting  

What does this cover? 

  • Non emergencies include incidents of crime or disorder/anti-social behaviour that have already happened and there is no risk of immediate harm.  

  • ASB that is occurring now but is low level and no one is at risk of harm.   

To report a non emergency: use this form or phone 101 


Examples when to contact Kent Police:

  • Street drinking or being drunk and rowdy in public
  • Drug related activity or nuisance
  • Vehicle related ASB


Dover District Council    

Please use the links below to report whenever possible, however for those without access to online reporting please call 01304 872220 

  • For ASB relating to temporary or permanent DDC tenancies/tenants and DDC properties only use this from use this form
  • Noise complaints within a property or the land of that property e.g. garden or driveway use this form
  • For general anti-social behaviour that doesn’t relate to noise from a property or a DDC tenant that is a repeated nuisance activity that doesn’t require a police or immediate authority response use this form.  

If you are suffering ASB from tenants of  one of Kent’s many social housing providers such as Southern Housing, Sanctuary, Town & Country, Moat, oak or Orbit  please refer directly to your allocated housing officer or their webpages, they have a policy on how they deal with ASB relating to their tenants and properties.  

Can I make a confidential report to protect my identity?

Yes, just let us know when you contact us. We may involve other Dover District Council departments in the investigation of your complaint.

What is the Council doing about anti-social behaviour?

  • Reducing anti-social behaviour is one of our top priorities
  • A joint Community Safety Unit has been set up to improve and extend our existing response to anti-social behaviour
  • We have set up new, closer working arrangements with Kent Police and Kent County Council wardens to address anti-social behaviour
  • The Housing Services section has prepared an Anti Social Behaviour Policy as a result of a requirement of the Anti Social Behaviour Act 2003 that requires all Social Landlords to publish their policies on Anti Social Behaviour. This policy forms a strand of Dover District Council's overarching policy to deal effectively with Anti Social Behaviour.

Other useful links:

Anti-social Behaviour Case Review

The Anti-social Behaviour Case Review can be used if you have reported at least three incidents of anti-social behaviour to a relevant organisation within the previous six months.

More information

Contact us

Tel: 01304 872220

Email: csu@dover.gov.uk