Changing Your Home
Mutual Exchange Scheme
Existing tenants of councils and housing associations have a right to exchange homes with each other.
Applications from Council and Housing Association tenants to transfer to new homes in the district are assessed in the same way as applicants for the housing register are assessed.
Tenant Incentive Scheme
We operate a Tenant Incentive Scheme to encourage people to move from family sized homes to smaller ones and free up larger homes for those who need them. A grant of £1,000 upfront and £1,000 for each room given up, paid following the move, is offered to assist with removal costs and other expenses.
The move must be to alternative Council or Housing Association property through the choice based lettings scheme and applies to:
- Council tenants over the age of 55 who are under-occupying homes
- Council tenants who occupy fully adapted, wheelchair accessible accommodation and no longer require the use of these facilities
Any debt owed to Dover District Council will be recovered from this grant.
Tenants in breach of their Tenancy Agreement
Tenants who are in breach of their tenancy agreement, eg. rent arrears, condition of property, or unsocial behaviour, will only be considered when the situation is remedied.
The policy sets out:
- How homes are allocated
- Who is eligible to be accepted onto the housing register
- How to apply to Dover’s housing register
- How priority for housing applicants will be given
- How transfer applications will be assessed
- Eligibility for different property types
Tel: 01304 872265