Why Seek Advice?
Whether you are a developer of a large scheme or a householder wishing to improve your home, it is advisable to seek advice before submitting your planning application. We can let you know whether your proposals are supported by planning policy and whether there are any issues that may prevent planning permission being granted.
Basic, free of charge advice on the planning process is available by visiting the main Council Offices at Whitfield or over the telephone. Useful guidance can also be found on the Planning Portal If you would prefer a specific review of your proposals and detailed guidance on the application process, we recommend that you obtain formal pre-application advice. This is a charged-for service and is available for any scale of development. We are happy to provide advice at any time, whether it is just a discussion on some initial ideas or a review of more detailed plans.
Seeking our advice gives you an opportunity to understand how local and national policies will be applied to your development. We will identify at an early stage where there is a need for specialist input, for example about:
- Heritage Assets (including Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas)
- contaminated land
- flood risk
We will assist you in preparing proposals for formal submission which, providing you have taken our advice fully into account, will be handled more smoothly and may lead to a reduction in time spent by your professional advisors in preparing proposals. Amendments or alternative forms of development may be suggested if a proposal is unlikely to be acceptable.
You can use the service just once or you may find it beneficial to obtain advice throughout the evolution of your scheme.
From April 2018 we have established a menu of charging to reflect the size and complexity of particular schemes. Hopefully your scheme will fit into these categories, but if not, do contact us for a quote.
|Charge||Written|| Written + Meeting|
|1-4 dwellings follow-up advice*
|5-9 dwellings follow-up advice*
|10-49 dwellings follow-up advice*
|50+ dwellings follow-up advice*
|Commercial up to 250m²
|Commercial up to 500m²
|Commercial up to 999m²
|Commercial over 1000m²
|Listed Building Advice
* This additional fee is applicable only if you require a formal review
It is not chargeable for matters of clarification
We also need the following information for schemes of 10 dwellings and above:
- Written details of the address and proposal
- Description of the nature and scale of the development proposed and the uses to which land and buildings are to be put
- Site location plan with the site clearly marked (to a recognised scale, north point etc)
- Sketch drawings providing details of the proposal (to a recognised scale)
- Photographs of the site and surrounding area, with particular regard to any nearby houses or other development which might be affected by your proposal
- Contact details including phone number and email address
- An initial design and access statement
- Access and parking arrangements
- This may also need to be accompanied by ecological, landscape, contamination, flood and transport assessments depending upon the location, nature and complexity of the development
What the costs cover
These fees cover administration costs and the time spent in research, assessment, a meeting as necessary, and in making a written response.
How to apply
Please email email@example.com
Telephone: 01304 872486
Pre-application advice cannot guarantee the final formal decision that will be made on your application. However, any pre-application advice that has been provided will be carefully considered in reaching a decision.