Reinventing Dover's Market Square
Project Update - July 2020
Dover District Council is managing a £2.44m project on behalf of the Dover Town Team to improve the Market Square. The project is funded by a grant of £2.44m from the Coastal Communities Fund and £500k contribution from Dover District Council.
The aim of the project is to attract more people to visit and shop in Dover by making the Market Square more welcoming for local residents and creating a focal point for visitors to the town centre.
- The centrepiece of the project will be a new event space and water feature, designed to accentuate the view of Dover Castle as a backdrop
- Highways improvements will make the Market Square more pedestrian friendly, improving links between the new and traditional shopping areas
- It will complement national walking trails that pass through the Market Square, including the North Downs Way and the Via Francigena pilgrimage route
- We plan to relocate the bus and coach stops, and the taxi rank out of the Market Square. New coach drop-offs nearby will accommodate both left- and right-hand drive vehicles to cater for Continental visitors
- Improved public realm, including new planting on King Street will create a more attractive street scene between the Market Square and the Waterfront
The early design proposals for the Market Square were informed by two rounds of public consultation.
We’re now working on detailed designs with Dover Town Team and Kent Highways. We’ve also been engaging with local groups, including businesses in the Market Square and surrounding streets, and transport operators.
The final designs will be on show to the public at the Dover Discovery Centre in the Market Square during October 2020.
Flying Horse Lane
Dover Town Centre was once full of small alleys and lanes like this. Most have been destroyed and so this is a valuable heritage asset to the town. Since the opening of the St James development it is noticeable that this lane is now much more regularly used by pedestrians and greater footfall brings greater opportunities.