Home > Business > Licensing > Other Licences > Caravan Sites > Caravan, Mobile Home and Camping Sites

Caravan, Mobile Home and Camping Sites

To permanently site residential or holiday caravans on land in Dover District you will need a licence, unless the following circumstances apply:

  • Temporary use on private property (including home building and seasonal workers)
  • Single caravan used by a person for not more than two nights, totalling not more than 28 days in 12 months
  • Use of land of 5 or more acres where 3 or less caravans are stationed for 28 days or less a year
  • Sites occupied or approved and supervised by exempted organisations
  • Sites operated and owned by Dover District Council 


  • A licence fee may be applicable for a new relevent protected site, i.e. permanant residential home with all year use.  
  • All other types of site licences are free

The annual licence fee runs 1st April to 31st March - invoices will be sent out during April for payment within 30 days.

The fee policy was approved by the Regulatory Committee 22 June 2021 - Information regarding the Council's fee policy can be found here.

 Dover District Council’s Fee Policy for Relevant Protected Sites

Fit and Proper Person Test

The Mobile Homes (Requirements for manager of site to be Fit and Proper Person) (England) Regulations 2020, require the manager of a site to be a Fit and Proper Person (the Regulations). Dover District Council is accordingly required to introduce a Fit and Proper test for mobile home site owners, or a person appointed to manage the site, unsless they are eligable for an exemption under the Regulations.

The current fee for a F&PP test application is £160

Submit the application online


Before you can operate a Caravan or Mobile Home site you must have Planning Permission for development of the site or hold a Certificate of Lawfulness. 

Site Rules

Sites within Dover Districts

Further Information 

  • Caravan Site Legislation (GOV.UK website)
  • The Mobile Homes (Requirement for Manager of Site to be Fit and Proper Person) (England) Regulations 2020 (legislation.gov.uk)

  • Home - Park Homes (lease-advice.org)
  • Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 (legislation.gov.uk)


Email: privatesectorhousing@dover.gov.uk

Telephone: 01304 872397