- Requests for interments must be made at least 72 hours prior to burial
- Times for burials are 9am to 3.30pm Monday to Friday
- No burials will take place on Saturday, Sunday, Christmas Day and any Bank Holiday except under special circumstances
- A register of graves and maps of the cemeteries are held at the Council offices
- Graves spaces are allocated at the discretion of the Council
- Graves cannot be reopened without proof of ownership
- Walled graves and vaults are dealt with under special circumstances
- Burials take place under regulations laid down in the Law of Burial, Cremation and Exhumations and The Local Authorities’ Cemetery Order 1977
- No scattering of ashes is allowed
Exclusive Rights of Burial
- Burial rights to a grave can be leased for 100 years by way of a Deed of Grant.
- This Grant is a legal document to be kept in a safe place. All changes of address should be notified to the Council
- Rights can be transferred by the owner, or on the death of the owner – please contact the Council for the correct procedure.
- Approval for the erection of a memorial must be obtained from the Council
- The Council reserves the right to refuse unsuitable wording
- All memorials are to be installed in accordance with NAMM current Code of Working Practice and BS 8415 for the erection of memorials
- Memorials are at all times the responsibility of the owner
- The Council is not responsible for any damage caused except as a direct result of negligence of its employees
- Flowers/wreaths may be placed on the grave but these will be removed after a reasonable time.
- Any flower holders must be of non-breakable material.
- No glass or ceramic vases or ornaments to be placed on graves
- No glass beads, aggregate, edging, windmills, wind chimes and lanterns to be placed on any grave. The Council reserves the right to remove these
- Any plants should be restricted to the headstone border and of a suitable species
- Any overgrown shrubs or plants in borders will be cut back or removed for ease of maintenance
- NO widening of the borders should be carried out
- The Council can arrange the planting and maintenance of graves for an annual fee. Please contact the Property, Leisure and Waste Management department for details
- The Council reserves the right to alter or make additions to the regulations when necessary
For a booklet of the full version of Dover District Council’s Cemetery Regulations please contact Joanne Hadfield on 01304 872458 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 01304 872458