Coastal Community Teams
The Dover district is made up of some of the most vibrant coastal communities in the UK, including
- Dover with it's iconic White Cliffs, Castle and Port
- Deal with its Georgian heritage quarter and award winning High Street
- the splendour of Medieval Sandwich
And not forgetting our beautiful beaches!
Like most coastal communities our coastal location can also have negative effects on the local economy. This can include:
- Changes in tourism trends
- Seasonality of seaside economy
- High levels of deprivation
- Coastal erosion
- Physical isolation which is often a barrier to economic growth
- High levels of in-migration of older people, and out-migration of younger people
- Heritage as both an asset and a challenge
Addressing these local problems is a key aim of the new Coastal Community Teams.
This central Government initiative is designed to encourage local partnerships to come up with local solutions in coastal communities.
The Dover district was successful in securing £20,000 for the creation of two Coastal Community Teams, one for Dover, and one for Deal & Sandwich.
The Coastal Community Teams will be focussing on areas, including:
- Enhancing attractiveness/accessibility of public areas
- Providing increased community facilities
- Promoting the visitor economy
- Sustainable uses of heritage/cultural assets
- Supporting growth/performance of the retail sector
The Coastal Community Teams will take the lead on bids to the £90m Coastal Communities Fund, which is funded through the Crown Estate.