Skip to content
Home > Corporate Information > Brexit > Guidance for individuals

Guidance for individuals

Transition Period

The UK leaves the EU on the 31 January 2020.

After 31 January 2020, there will be a transition period until the end of 2020, while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements.

The current rules on trade, travel, and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period.

New rules will take effect on 1 January 2021. 

You and your family  can take some actions now to prepare for 2021. To find the latest guidance and information on what you can do now, please go to

You can also sign up to receive email alerts about Brexit on GOV.UK: Transition Period E-mail Alerts  

How will the UK leaving the EU affect me? 

When the UK leaves the EU, there will be changes that affect you. The UK Government has published information to help individuals get ready for Brexit. The detailed information covers: 

  • Visiting Europe: Includes passports, driving and travel, EHIC cards, pets and mobile roaming fees
  • Buying things from Europe: Includes consumer rights, making payments and package holidays
  • Studying in the EU: Includes Erasmus+ and other options for higher education study abroad
  • Family law disputes in the EU: Includes divorce and disputes about parental responsibility or child maintenance

There is different guidance available for EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in the EU.    

I'm an EU citizen, how do I get settled status?

We value the contribution you make to our community and want you to stay in the Dover District after the UK leaves the EU. 

Please see our EU Settlement Scheme page for more information, including local support available. 

UK Citizens in the EU

The GOV.UK pages: UK citizens in the EU provides guidance by either choosing a specific country or checking the guidance for all UK nationals living in the EU

In addition, the Government has published a police paper outlining the UK Government's action to protect the rights of UK nationals living in the EU: Citizens’ Rights - UK nationals in the EU. 


Brexit Home Page


. Keep Me Posted.