Home > Corporate Information > Insurance > Making Insurance Claims Against the Council

Making Insurance Claims Against the Council

Advice before making a claim

Before entering a claim for compensation (public liability claim) it is important to be aware of the following points: -

  • All claims are assessed on the basis of whether the council has been legally at fault for the incident. Often events occur that are unfortunate, but not due to anyone's negligence. There is no guarantee that submitting a public liability claim will automatically result in compensation and in many cases it does not.
  • Any decision on the claim will not be immediate, the Council and its insurers will acknowledge claims speedily, but are allowed
  • Claims can be submitted in person or by a solicitor acting on your behalf. We treat all claimants equally regardless of how they are represented.
  • Fraudulent claims will be prosecuted.

How to make a claim

To make a claim you will need to formally notify the council. Information that should be contained within this notice of claim is defined by law, but basically it should contain enough information for the council to begin investigations.

At a minimum it should contain the following:

  • Claimants name & address.
  • Your name and address if different
  • Details of the incident.
  • Details of any injuries or damage to property.
  • Details of how or why you or the claimant you represent, feels the council have acted negligently.

In the case of a personal injury you will, at some stage, need to supply the following. This can be done either immediately or at a later date:

  • Date of birth
  • National insurance number

Claims should be notified to:

The Insurance Section
Dover District Council
White Cliffs Business Park
Dover CT16 3PJ

Or may be emailed to Insurancesection@dover.gov.uk

Give as much information as possible

When preparing a letter of claim the more information that can be given, the easier it will be for the Council and its insurers to investigate. A map showing where an accident happened and photos are helpful.

The more information we have the quicker any investigation will be.


When can a response be expected

When we receive your letter we will forward details to our insurance company immediately. The council or the insurance company will respond to you advising you of the insurance company details.

All claims will be processed as quickly, but the council and its insurers do need time to investigate claims.

Legal Advice

A public liability claim is a legal process and can be complicated. You may wish to seek legal advice either before making a claim, or if you disagree about the decision reached. Before appointing a solicitor check the cost of the legal services they will provide and how this will be funded.

The Citizens Advice Bureau can give guidance on making a public liability claim. To get details of their local office visit their website www.citizensadvice.org.uk.

If you need contact with us to be through another media such as braille, or for some reason you are unable to put your claim in writing, please let us know and we will make appropriate arrangements for you.



Email: Insurancesection@dover.gov.uk

Telephone 01304 872318