Passing motorbike noise is accepted as part of everyday life, however continuous or excessive motorcycle use on private land or directly associated with a nearby property can cause severe disturbance. We are unable to deal with noise caused by passing traffic which has no association with the area in which you live. 
Motorbikes are loud because of:
  • the size of the muffler most of them have,
  • the length of the exhaust pipes and the lack of residence time the air and exhaust have to slow down,
  • and because the engine is open to air and atmosphere with no engine compartment encasing and stifling the sound.

Use of motorbike on private property


Motorbike scrambling often takes place on private property as the bikes do not have to comply with the Road Traffic Act on such land. This should only take place with the owner's consent and not across any public footpaths. 

Information for landowners


If you allow your land to be used for motorbike scrambling and noise complaints are received the Council have a statutory duty to investigate under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. If officers are of the opinion the noise is a Statutory Nuisance then this may result in legal action being taken against landowners who permit the use or where inadequate measures have been taken to prevent access to the bikes. 

If you do allow for your land to be used then you should check this complies with the Town and Country Planning (Generally Permitted) Development Order 1995. This permits an agricultural field to be used for non-competitive motorbike scrambling, for up to 28 days in a calendar year. If land is being used for motorcycle racing, including speed trials, or practising for such events then the use is permitted for only 14 days in a calendar year.

Make a Complaint or Report


Many people do not realise that their behaviour may be causing a noise nuisance. Before you make a complaint we recommend that you try to talk to your neighbour and politely tell them about the problem.

If the noise nusiance continues to cause a disturbance, you can give us full details of your complaint by completing our online reporting form by clicking on the following link:

Report a Noise Problem