Fumes and Gas Nuisance

A "fume" is defined as any airborne solid matter smaller than dust.

A "gas" includes vapour and moisture precipitated from vapour.





Common Forms of Fumes or Gas Nuisance


Complaints usually originate as a result of faulty or improper practices relating to:

  • exhaust gases from central heating boilers
  • spray paints from car repair activities

Could it be a Gas Leak?

Many residents call us to complain about fumes and do not consider that it could be a gas leak. If you think that the smell could be gas you should call the National Grid UK Emergency Service phone 0800 111 999. They can arrange for a check to be made for a gas leak. For more information please visit their website National Grid UK

If you smell something that you think poses an immediate threat to your health, such as petrol, please contact the emergency services.   

The Affects of Exposure


The effects of exposure to fumes or gas will vary depending on the type of chemicals and the length of exposure amongst other factors.

Symptoms of exposure can include:

  • irritation of the eyes, nose and throat
  • coughing
  • headaches
  • blood in sputum
  • shortness of breath 


When can Fumes or Gas become a Statutory Nuisance?


The Environmental Protection Act 1990 allows us to take action against Statutory Nuisances that do one of the following:

  • unreasonably and substantially interfere with the use or enjoyment of a home or other premises
  • injure health or be likely to injure health

Depending upon the issue, judging whether the fumes or gas are a Statutory Nuisance can take time. Please visit our Statutory Nuisance webpage for further information on how we investigate Statutory Nuisances.  

Please note that if your complaint is soley regarding odour and cannot be pin pointed to a fume or gas eminating from a domestic property it is unlikely we will be unable to assist you with your complaint. The Local Authoirty has no powers to deal with odour eminating from a domestic premises and to act under fumes and/or gases nuisance powers we must identify that it is such and not merely an unpleasant odour. 

Make a complaint


 If you are being affected by fumes and gas from a private property or premises please contact our team or complete a reporting form on the following weblink:

 Report a fumes or gas problem