It is the responsibility of property owners to take appropriate action to protect their property from flooding.
However, we recognise that some people may require help to protect themselves during a flooding incident.
We can only supply sandbags to occupied residential properties that are in imminent danger of flooding.
Requests will be prioritised as follows:
1. Vulnerable individuals, the elderly and infirm
2. Hospitals, Care Homes, schools etc
3. Community Flood Schemes
4. Council buildings and critical infrastructure
5. Residential properties
6. Business or other non-residential properties.
- Requests for sandbags will not be considered for protecting gardens, out buildings or other non-residential structures.
- Commercial premises should make their own arrangements. Requests from commercial premises’ owners will only be considered in very exceptional circumstances and a charge will normally be made.
- Requests for sandbags will not be considered in anticipation of flooding, following advance weather forecasts or Environment Agency warning.
- The best defence is to plan in advance to protect your property during flooding.
How to get sandbags and how to use them »