Home > Housing > Housing for Tenants > Rent > Changes to benefits > Help with the Benefit Cap

Help with the Benefit Cap

If you have been affected by the Benefit Cap, please contact our Benefits & Money Advisor for help, support and advice to assist with budgeting.

There is also short term help available through your Housing Benefit section at your local council. You can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment to assist with paying your rent. Each application is processed individually and would normally only offer temporary assistance whilst adjusting to the cap. Please note: Housing Benefit backdates have been reduced to 1 month, which means you cannot backdate a claim any further than this.