Right to Buy

Where can I get more information from about the Right to Buy?

Further information can be obtained the Government website at https://www.gov.uk/right-to-buy-buying-your-council-home.  In addition if you have any queries regarding the Right to Buy process you can get friendly, impartial advice by contacting the Government’s Right to Buy Agent service.  Their advisers are available Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm. Telephone 0300 123 0913 or email enquiry@righttobuyagent.org.uk

How do I complete my Right to Buy application form?

Application form (RTB1)

What evidence do I need to provide with my application? 

Insolvency declaration – one of the reasons for denying the Right to Buy is if any applicant is an undischarged bankrupt, has a bankruptcy petition pending against them or has made an arrangement with creditors and still owe them money and therefore this form is a vital part of your application

FULL Birth certificate (not short version) – to be used as proof of family relationship for son/daughter who are joining the application as a family member or of any children you have together – to be used as proof of relationship

Marriage certificate – to be used as proof of family relationship for husband/wife who are joining the application as a family member

Utility bill/bank statement/benefits agency letter in joint names – to be used as proof of relationship as the partner of the applicant 

Driving licence or certificate of motor insurance or HMRC tax notification letter or benefits agency letter – to be used as proof of residency for family members who are joining the application

3 utility bills/bank statements/pay slips addressed to the family member at that address spread over the past 12 months – to be used as proof of continuous residency for family members who are joining the application. 

Why do I need to complete an insolvency declaration?

If you are a bankrupt you do not qualify for the Right to Buy

Insolvency declaration form for completion

What is a RTB2?

The form RTB2 is our official response to your application and confirms the name(s) of those people we agree may take part in the purchase.

What happens once I have my RTB2?

The next step will be for us to value your home.  The Council will arrange for a Valuer to contact you shortly to arrange a convenient appointment to enable a valuation of the property to be carried and once we receive the report an offer notice will be sent to you.

Once I have applied to buy what happens to repairs and improvements to my property?

Whilst your Right to Buy application is being dealt with, the Council will only do repairs to your home that it has a legal duty to carry out.  In addition, no further improvements will be made to your property whilst your application is current. For example if you are due a new boiler or kitchen your property will be removed from the programme. Please note if you are removed there is no guarantee that you will be re added to a programme should you withdraw your application.

What do I need to do if I decide I no longer wish to buy?

If you decide NOT to buy your home, please confirm in writing or by completing the Notice of intention form to The Homeownership Team, White Cliffs Business Park, Whitfield, Dover CT16 3PJ straight away. 

Are there some properties that are not sold under the Right to Buy?

Yes.  Your application may be denied if your home is considered to be particularly suited for the elderly.

If you do not agree with this decision for denying the right to buy you may ask a residential property tribunal to decide whether it is correct.  You must make your application within eight weeks.  An application form can be obtained from the Residential Property Tribunal Service, telephone number 020 7446 7700;  you can download the form here


What do I do if I have my offer and I now want to proceed with the purchase?

If you would like to purchase the property please complete the form within the next 12 weeks and also let me have the name and address of the solicitors you have instructed to act for you in the purchase of your home. 

Notice of intention form

What can I do if I think the valuation of my property is too high?

If you think the valuation is too high you can appeal to the District Valuer, who is independent from the Council, by completing form TRB5.  The District Valuer’s valuation will be the one that counts, even if it is higher than our valuation, and you will have to accept it or withdraw your application to buy your home.

Can I buy a flat?

It is important to understand that because your property is a flat or a maisonette you can only purchase the property on a lease.  This means that each year you will have to pay a service charge to cover the cost of the repairs and maintenance to the building and any other services that the property benefits from such as:

  • electricity for the communal hallway lighting
  • communal hallway cleaning
  • grounds maintenance

Details of the costs will be included in the Landlord’s offer notice.  Please ensure you can afford these costs as part of deciding whether to buy.

How much will I pay for my property?

If you would like to find out how much your home may cost before you apply for the right to buy, you can do the following:


If you have access to the internet go to https://www.gov.uk/right-to-buy-buying-your-council-home and click on ‘Can I afford it?’ and answer the three questions under the ‘Right to Buy calculator’.  An estimated cost for your property will be displayed under ‘your results’.

In addition look on a website that advertises properties for sale for example ‘Right Move’ and look for properties similar to yours.

If you don’t have access to the internet, you can visit your local estate agent to see the value of similar properties in your area.

How long will the Right to Buy take?

RTB1 (right to buy application form) – We have 4 weeks to respond from date of receipt of your application form (extra 4 weeks allowed if applicant has been with current landlord for 2 years or less)

RTB2  (This informs you whether or not you have the right to buy) – we have 8 weeks (for a house) or 12 weeks (for a flat) to gather all relevant information and send this form to you

Section 125 Landlords offer Notice – If you are living in a house we must send this to you within 8 weeks of the RTB2 and you have 12 weeks to respond (in writing) to say if you wish to proceed or not with the purchase. If you are living in a flat we must send this to you within 12 weeks of the RTB2 and you have 12 weeks to respond (in writing) to say if you wish to proceed or not with the purchase.