Your rights as a tenant

Your rights as a tenant are determined by the type of tenancy agreement you have.  We have summarised the main rights of residents based on a 'introductory' or secure' tenancy below. However please see your full rights in your tenancy agreement.

Rights for all tenants:

  • You have the right to see any of the details you have given to us in connection with your application for a tenancy or a transfer of your tenancy. We may charge you for copies of these details.
  • You have the right to see our policies on housing, rehousing.
  • You have the right to be consulted about any proposals for changes to the way we manage, maintain, improve, demolish, sell or transfer council homes, or changes to do with service or facilities for council tenants.
  • Dependent on when your tenancy started you may have the right when you die to have your tenancy pass on to someone else such as a spouse, partner or family member.  This is through a process called 'Succession'

Rights for introductory tenants:

Unless you are transferring from a secure tenancy or certain other types of tenancy, you will start your tenancy as an Introductory tenant. Your introductory tenancy will last for one year. If you do not break any of the tenancy conditions during this time, you will automatically become a 'secure tenant'.   If, during your introductory tenancy, you break any of the tenancy conditions, we will take action to end your tenancy.

By law, during your introductory tenancy, you do not have the same rights as a 'secure tenant'.

You cannot do the following:

  • Apply for the right to buy your home;
  • Vote for a change to a new landlord; or
  • Make a mutual exchange (swap your home).

You must also ask for our written permission before you do the following:

  • Make a structural change or any improvements, other than redecorating the property; or
  • Fit or remove any aid or adaptation to the property
  • We may refuse if you do not meet certain conditions.

You must tell us if you will be away from the property for more than four weeks.
We will then know that you have not abandoned the property. If your job means that you are often away from the property, or you are away for long periods at a time, you should discuss this with us by contacting the council offices.

Use of your property

  • The people who can live at the property with you are those you told us about when you applied for the property. Before anyone comes to live with you for more than four weeks, you must get our permission. We may refuse to let them stay at the property.
  • You must not sublet or part with possession of your home or any part of your home.

Rights for secure tenants:

  • You have the right to take in a lodger, but you must tell us immediately if you do as we need to give you permission.  Read more about taking in a lodger here.
  • You have the right to sublet part of your home, but you must get our written permission first.
  • You have the right to exchange your home with another council tenant, a housing association tenant or a council tenant from another council. You must get our written permission first and we may refuse an exchange if you or the person you want to exchange with do not meet certain conditions.
  • In certain circumstances you have the right to buy your home
  • You have the right to improve your home but you must get our permission first. You may be able to claim compensation for certain improvements if you end your tenancy in the future. We can tell you which improvements this applies to. Please contact you council offices for more information.