Garden Waste Collections
Garden Waste Subscriptions/Renewals
We have now stopped taking any further subscriptions or renewals for the current garden waste subscription year, please do not try to make payment at this time. We will reopen the ability for residents to subscribe/renew garden waste collections for the next subscription year in March 2022.
Pay for garden waste collections »
Please note if your payment has lapsed and you are reapplying, it takes 5 working days to process your application. The contractor will not return until the next scheduled collection.
- We will collect your garden waste once a fortnight and will empty up to six bags per collection.
- You will receive up to 25 collections a year, missing one over the two week break at Christmas. You will be notified on the annual calendar when this will be.
Cancel your subscription or tell us you are moving »
We will collect
- Grass cuttings
- Twigs and small branches
- Prunings and hedge clippings
- Flowers and plants
- Weeds (except Japanese Knotweed and ragwort)
We cannot take
- Soil and turf
- Rubble and stones
- Cooked foods and kitchen waste
- All non organic waste
- Garden chemicals
- Pet litter/Bedding
- Wood Chippings
Report missed collections »
We will ask our contractors to return to you when a collection is missed.
Frequently asked questions
Can I get an assisted collection?
If you have an assisted collection for your recycling and general waste you will also receive an assisted collection for your garden waste.
How much should I put in my sacks?
If you overload your sack it may not be collected. If you can’t lift the sack, we can’t lift it. Look after both your safety and our collection crew’s safety.
Where can I get additional sacks?
A sack is not provided with the licence. Sacks can be purchased for £5.00 each from Sandwich Age Concern Centre or Sandwich Guildhall, or - online here
or you can use your own bags.
Can I use any sack?
You may use your own sacks but containers like builders sacks are too large and will not be collected.
Is there a limit to how much garden waste I can put in each sack?
For your safety and the safety of the crews please ensure you do not overload each sack. Any sack weighing over 20kg is deemed too heavy and the collection will not be made. If this happens you must remove the excess weight and present the sack/s on the next scheduled collection.
What if I wish to put out more than six bags per collection?
Additional licences can be purchased should you wish to have more than the allocated six bag collection. There is no limit to the number of licences a property may purchase.
What happens to the garden waste after it is collected?
Green garden waste is composted and produces a high quality soil improver that is taken to a local facility where it is composted and then used on the farmland.
Where do I leave my garden waste bags?
Please place your garden waste on the edge of your property by 7am on collection day unless you have a pre agreed collection point.
Renewing your licence
Subscriptions are not automatically renewed, we will notify you mid February of the fee and invite you to reapply.
Other ways to dispose of your garden waste
- Home Composting which is better for the environment, saves you time and money and gives you a soil improver which you can use in your garden. We are part of a scheme which provides reduced priced compost bins, water butts and accessories.
To place an order please telephone 0844 571 4444 or visit www.dover.getcomposting.com
- Take your garden waste to one of the three Household Waste Recycling Centres within the district operated by Kent County Council. These sites can be found in Honeywood Road (Dover), Southwall Road (Deal) and Ramsgate Road (Sandwich).