Home > Transport, Streets & Parking > Transport & Streets > Vehicular Access Licence

Vehicular Access Licence

The majority of public roads and adjoining paths across the Dover District are adopted highways and are maintained by Kent County Council, for which everyone has the right of access.

There are however non-adopted areas which are owned by Dover District Council and require permission for the right to access. Examples of requests where a Vehicle Access Licence is required from an applicant includes:

  • Building a driveway and drop kerb to the rear of a property that backs onto a garage forecourt, owned by Dover District Council.
  • Building an access road on an open or green space, owned by Dover District Council between the property and the highway.
  • As requested as part of planning permission for any other associated works.


You can apply for a vehicular access license by:

  • Completing the online application form below.
  • Sending a letter to Property Services, Dover District Council, White Cliffs Business Park, Whitfield, Dover, CT16 3PJ




The application and annual service fees are subject to confirmation from the application and may change depending on the nature of the licence.