Who can get Housing Benefit?
We can no longer accept new claims for Housing Benefit unless you:
- are of pensionable age
- are in exempt accommodation
- are in temporary accommodation placed by our Housing Options Team
- are currently in receipt of the Severe Disability Premium, or have been within the last month.
If you don't fall into one of these categories, you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit for help with your housing costs.
If you do fall into one of these categories, please follow the advice below to find out if you could get Housing Benefit.
You can get Housing Benefit if you
- rent your home
- are responsible for paying rent as a tenant, boarder, lodger or in a hostel or bed & breakfast
- have a low income, or are claiming benefits
- usually live in your home for which you are claiming Housing Benefit.
Check if you qualify for Housing Benefit using our online benefit calculator
You can also see how we work out your Housing Benefit.
You can’t get Housing Benefit if you
You won’t normally get Housing Benefit if you are living with a close relative and paying them rent.
Some full-time students aren’t able to claim Housing Benefit. Find out more about students and Housing Benefit