Home > Benefits > Proof for your claim

Proof for your claim

You are responsible for giving us the information and proof we need to support your Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit claim. The application form will tell you what proof you need to provide; we will contact you if we need any other proof.

Use this form to send us proof for:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Support
  • Discretionary Housing Payments
  • Council Tax Support Exceptional Hardship Scheme

It is important that you provide proof for you and your partner and for any other adults living in your home.

Upload your proof now - Housing Benefit and Council Tax support

Much of the evidence and information required for your claim can be verified through other sources available to us (for example HMRC and DWP). However we may need you to provide further evidence to help us to complete your claim faster.

Examples of when you need to provide further evidence are:

Evidence examples
ScenarioEvidence you must provide

You or your partner have not claimed Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support with us before

Proof of your identity and National Insurance Number.

You or your partner pay into a salary sacrifice scheme from your wages or receive a bonus

Your two most recent wage slips and confirmation in writing what the scheme is for or how frequently you receive the bonus

You or your partner are self-employed

Please complete the self-employed income form or upload your latest audited accounts

You live in supported accommodation

Your full tenancy agreement with information from your landlord detailing the level of support you receive and who provides it

You have other adults (other than your partner) living in your home

Evidence of their income/wage slips


Please download a childcare form and return it once completed by the childcare provider.

You are working age and have over £5,500 or pension age and have over £9,500 in savings and investments (banks/ISA’s, stocks and shares etc) 

Please provide up-to-date statements for all accounts you and your partner hold.

You or your partner own another property

Please complete and return an LA1 form

An adult within your home is a student

Please complete and return a student form and provide evidence of their Student finance.

If something changes

You must tell us straight away about any changes in your circumstances that may affect your claim and provide proof of your change.

If you can’t send your proof straight away

If you can’t get all the proof needed to send with the claim form, please send the form to us anyway and include a covering letter explaining that you will send further information later.

We will normally give you one calendar month to send in everything we need. We may be able to give you longer if there is a good reason why you can’t give us the information in that time.