You must have a licence to run a sex shop or adult cinema.
- be over 18
- ensure that no one under 18 works at or visits your premises
- not be disqualified from holding a licence
- have been a resident in the UK for the last 6 months, or be an incorporated UK body
- not have been refused a licence or renewal in the last 12 months, unless the decision was later reversed
- follow the conditions of your licence, eg regulating your opening hours, shop displays, advertisements and how visible the interior of your shop is from outside
We are able to limit the number of establishments permitted in any area.
If granted we can prescribe conditions which may include:
- regulating opening hours
- regulating displays or advertisements on or in sex establishments
- regulating the visibility of the interior of the establishments to passers by
- any change of a sex cinema to a sex shop or vice versa.
In addition to the model conditions special conditions may also apply to an individual licence.
We may refuse to grant a licence if we believe:
- the applicant is unsuitable bye reason of conviction or any other reason
- the business, if the licence was granted, would be for the benefit os a person who would be refused such a licence if they made application themselves
- that the number of sex establishments in the area exceeds the number that we consider appropriate
Apply for a Sex Cinema Licence
- Grant of new licence: £3,250
£2,167 is payable on application and non-refundable. The remaining £1,083 will be payable when your application is approved
- Renewal, transfer or variation £2,225
£1,484 is payable on application and non-refundable. The remaining £741 will be payable when your application is approved
Contact the Licensing Section
Telephone: 01304 872295