Working towards a healthy future
Health and wellbeing is a combination of physical, mental and social factors. Being healthy and well for a lifetime includes much more than good health and care services; it also means not needing them.
Many things can influence health and wellbeing, including where you live, your income, education, lifestyle choices and interaction with your local community.
As a district council, we have a role to play in improving health and wellbeing of our communities. We do this by providing essential services that directly impact the social determinants of health, such as housing, planning, environmental health, leisure, parks and open spaces. We also have a role in influencing and enabling other partners and members of our community to achieve outcomes that improve the health and wellbeing of our residents.
Through our Corporate Plan, we are striving to create the conditions where our communities can flourish and reach their full potetial.
Our Key Focus
- We will continue to support the joining together of health and social care to support people to be well and healthy in their own homes
- We will continue to drive economic growth in the district to bring increased investment and jobs and raise aspirations.
- We will continue to provide leisure facilities and good quality parks and open spaces.
- We will continue to provide a range of environmental health services including tackling pollution, food safety inspections and emergency planning.
- We will continue to work to strengthen the capacity and ability of the voluntary and community sector to deliver community services, as well as working with the police to build safer communities.
- We will continue to collect household waste and work to boost recycling levels.
- We will work to prevent homelessness and will continue to ensure the private rented housing sector provides safe, secure and energy efficient housing for tenants.
- We will support public health campaigns to encourage residents to make lifestyle changes that will help them to lead healthier lives
- We will work with both statutory agencies and the local community to help ensure that everyone in the district has access to the advice and support they need to live full, active and healthy live
Our Draft Dover District Local Plan, sets out the vision, strategic objectives and overarching development strategy for the growth of the District over the period to 2040. A cross-cutting theme in our Draft Local Plan is to support the health and wellbeing of residents, improve quality of life for all, and reduce health inequalities.