Council Tax and diplomats

A property is exempt (which means you don't have to pay Council Tax for the property) if at least one person who would normally be responsible for paying the Council Tax has diplomatic, commonwealth or consular privilege or immunity.

If a diplomat lives with you but would not be responsible for paying Council Tax, you can apply for a 25% discount.

The person on behalf of whom the application is made must not be:

  • a permanent resident of the UK
  • a British citizen
  • a British subject; or
  • a British protected person.

If you think a diplomat discount or exemption applies to you please contact us.

Contact Council Tax

Email: council.tax@dover.gov.uk

Phone: 01304 872199