Home > Council Tax > Discounts and exemptions > Disabled reduction

Disabled reduction

If you have adapted your home to meet the needs of a disabled person who lives there, and he or she is 'permanently and substantially' disabled, we may be able to reduce your Council Tax bill.

Apply for a disabled reduction »

Who can get a disabled reduction?

To qualify for a disabled reduction the property must have at least one of the following:

  • a room other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet which the disabled person needs and uses
  • an extra bathroom or kitchen needed for the disabled person
  • enough floor space indoors to allow the use of a wheelchair which is needed for the disabled person

The property must be the disabled person's main home.

If you get a disabled reduction you can still apply for other discounts.

If you're on a low income you can also still apply for Council Tax Support.

The person responsible for paying the Council Tax bill needs to apply for the reduction even if they are not the disabled person.

What will happen next?

Once we have received the application, we will contact you to discuss your application. 

How much will my bill be reduced by?

If you qualify for a disabled reduction your bill will be reduced to that of the Council Tax band immediately below the band that your property is in. Properties valued in band A will have the bill reduced by a further 1/9th of the band D charge. We will send you a new Council Tax bill.

You can find your Council Tax band on the GOV.UK website

Contact Council Tax

Email: council.tax@dover.gov.uk

Phone: 01304 872199