Home > Council Tax > Your Council Tax explained

Your Council Tax bill explained

The Council Tax you pay goes towards local services such as policing, fire services, education, parks and household rubbish collections.  

The amount you pay depends on the area that you live in and which property band your home is given. Your bill will be adjusted if you qualify for any of the Council Tax discounts or exemptions, or if you qualify for help with your Council Tax because you have a low income.

Council Tax charges 2024/25


In this area, a 'precept' is a charge collected on behalf of Dover District Council, Kent County Council, The Police and Crime Commissioner for Kent, Kent and Medway Fire and Rescue Authority and our parish councils.

We collect the Council Tax on behalf of all these authorities. Find out more about where your Council Tax goes

Information from other authorities who deliver services in your area

The adult social care precept

The adult social care precept is an amount charged by Kent County Council to help fund adult social care. More about the adult social care precept

Paying by Direct Debit

Please check the box on your bill where it says how much each instalment is; it tells you how you are due to pay. If it tells you that the instalments are collected by Direct Debit you don’t need to do anything as we will automatically change your payments to make sure the right amount is taken. 

If you don’t currently pay by Direct Debit and you would like to, please sign up to Direct Debit.

Premiums for my empty properties

An additional amount of Council Tax is charged if a property has been unoccupied and substantially unfurnished for one year or more. 

From 1 April 2024, Dover District Council will be increasing their empty property premium.

  • for properties that have been empty and substantially unfurnished for one year but less than five years, the premium will be 100%
  • for properties that have been empty and substantially unfurnished for five years but less than ten years, the premium remains set at 200%
  •  where a property has been unoccupied and substantially unfurnished for ten years or more, the premium will increase to 300%.  This means that if you own a property which has been empty and unfurnished for ten years or more, you will be charged an extra 300% Council Tax on top of the full Council Tax for the property (a 400% Council Tax charge).

Find out more about the long-term empty premium

Kent County Council’s offer to care leavers

If you’re leaving care to become independent and you’re aged between 16 and 21, Kent County Council may be able to help support you through their local offer.  If you have left care, and Kent County Council has appointed you a personal adviser, please pass your Council Tax bill to them to arrange payment.

You can find out more on the Kent County Council website

If you disagree with your Council Tax bill

Please see the appeals and disputes page for information about how to appeal and what you can appeal against.

If you appeal against your Council Tax, you must continue with your regular payments until your appeal has been dealt with.

If you don’t pay your Council Tax

The Council Tax is a priority bill that must be paid by everyone who is liable. If Council Tax is not paid as and when it is due, we will take recovery action which could mean costs being added to your account.

Further information