Home > Environment > Energy Advice > Energy Performance Certificates

Energy Performance Certificates

The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is part of a series of measures being introduced across Europe to reflect legislation which will help cut buildings’ carbon emissions and tackle climate change.

Energy Performance Certificates were introduced to help improve the energy efficiency of buildings. If you are buying or selling a home you now need a certificate by law.

From October 2008 all buildings, whenever they are built, sold or rented out, will require one, although rental properties will not need an EPC until starting the next new lease/tenancy. The EPC provides ’A’ to ’G’ ratings for the building, with ’A’ being the most energy efficient and ’G’ being the least, with the average to date being ’D’. Click on the following link to view an example EPC

If you are a landlord or a tenant or a home owner/occupier, please download the guide below to find out more on how the EPC affects you:

Display Energy Certificates (DEC)

The requirement for Display Energy Certificates came into effect from 1 October 2008 as a result of The European Energy Performance of Buildings directive which became law in the UK in 2006

Display Energy Certificates (DECs) are similar to EPCs but are specifically for public sector buildings and show the actual energy usage of a building, the Operational Rating, and help the public see the energy efficiency of a building. This is based on the energy consumption of the building as recorded by gas, electricity and other meters.

Display Energy Certificates are only required for buildings with a total useful floor area over 1,000m2, that are occupied by a public authority or institution providing a public service to a large number of persons and therefore visited by those persons.

The DEC should be clearly displayed at all times and clearly visible to the public. A DEC is always accompanied by an Advisory Report that lists cost effective measures to improve the energy rating of the building.

DECs must be produced by accredited energy assessors who will also produce an associated report that may recommend improvements to make a building more energy efficient. DECs are only valid for one year however the accompanying Advisory Report is valid for seven years.

If you are involved with the management of a public building, you can find out more specific information on how DECs may affect you on the Communities and Government Website.


Tel: 01304 872128

E-mail: energy@dover.gov.uk