Home > Housing > Housing for Tenants > Planned Maintenance Programme > Adapting homes to help disabled or older people

Adapting homes to help disabled or older people

If you have a disability we can provide qualifying tenants certain adaptations to help them remain independent in their home and enjoy a good quality of life.

Step 1: Do you qualify for disabled adaptations?

First of all you will need to contact the Occupational Therapists who will assess your medical needs during a home visit which will be used to make a referral to us for adaptation work to happen.

How to contact Occupational Therapists:

  • For adult services (Over 18’s) call 03000 416161
  • For children services (Under 18’s) call 03000 411111
  • For minor adaptations (hand or grab rails) email social.services@kent.gov.uk          

Step 2: Responding to a request for a disabled adaptation to your home

Once we receive a recommendation from your Occupational Therapist we will consider the request.   It's important to get in contact with the Occupational Therapists as soon as possible, so you can be visited and a referral can be made.

How we decide if work can be done
We consult our Disabled Adaptations Policy to decide if the work qualifies or not. Please note, there are times when we may not be able to carry out adaptation work to your home, these include:

  • Under-occupancy – when a person (s) may be living in a home with more bedrooms than they need.
  • Overcrowding - when a person (s) is living living in a home which doesn't not have enough bedrooms for the people who live there
  • Tenancy Termination – if your tenancy is due to end because of rent arrears, potential transfer to another property, or you have applied for Right to Buy
  • Unsuitability of property – the works required may not be suitable to the type of property you live in.  This can be because of the property's location, layout, construction type for example.

Step 3: Decision on your request

If we refuse a request for adaptations we will advise you of the reasons why and suggest alternative solutions, or recommend you find more suitable accommodation to meet your medical needs. If we approve your request we will decide if the adaptation is minor or major works.

Step 4: Defining the type of work needed

If we approve the adaptations they fall into two categories:

1. Minor Works

  • Grab rails and hand rails
  • Lever taps

These works are generally straightforward and will be dealt with immediately.

2. Major Works

  • Bathroom adaptations – flush floor showers, over bath showers
  • Ramps
  • Stairlifts

These major works need to be inspected, planned and placed on the waiting list to be carried out.
Please note, we have a waiting list due to the increasing number of tenants who need major adaptations in their home.

Contacting the adaptations team at DDC

If you call, please select option 2 for repairs and then select the option for disabled aids and adaptations.

Other useful contacts

Disabled Adaptations Policy
Each council has made money available to make adaptations to the homes of tenants who are disabled or who have a disabled member of their family.  Adaptations can range from grab rails, stair lifts and flush floor showers.  All adaptations are recommended by an Occupational Therapist and are approved or refused by Dover District Council using the Disabled Adaptation Policy.  

Thinking of getting a mobility scooter?
Please be aware that we are unable to provide storage, ramping or charging points for mobility scooters. You should take this into consideration before you purchase one.