Home > Housing > Housing for Tenants > Rent > Money troubles?

Money troubles?

What to do if you fall behind with rent

If you fall behind with paying your rent we will try to contact you to find out if you are having money troubles.  If we can’t get in touch by text, phone or post we may arrange a visit to your property.

How YOU can contact your rent team:

  • Contact the team
  • Write to us at: Housing Team, Council Offices, White Cliffs Business Park, Whitfield, Dover CT16 3PJ

Fallen behind with your rent or need a little help with your benefits?

We have two dedicated Benefit and Money Advisors employed especially to help and signpost tenants regarding their Benefits, including claiming for housing costs. Our specialist will be able to advise you on claiming housing costs and maximising your income and where appropriate, refer you to other agencies, who may be able to help.

Check which benefits you're entitled to here at Entitledto and see if you could be better off.

Further help and advice

If you are worried about keeping up with your rent repayments there are a lot of organisations who can offer free and impartial advice:

  • A good place to start for help if you begin to struggle is the Citizens Advice website
  • Kent Money Advice is a scheme operated by Citizens Advice and is supporting people living in kent who are struggling financially or need support to manage the rising cost of living through its new Money Advice Hub. The service is free to use
  • Household Support Fund - Dover District Council has received funding from Kent County Council to support households who would otherwise struggle to buy food or pay essential utility bills or meet other essential living costs of housing costs this winter as the economy recovers
  • The StepChange Debt Charity offers a range of debt solutions
  • The National Debtline offer free, independent advice
  • Kent Savers - call them 0333 321 9050 (Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm) or 0300 456 9990 from 5pm to 8pm, and weekends from 8am to 8pm
  • Money Advice Service: moneyadviceservice.org.uk or call 0300 500 5000
  • Loansharks Advice - visit www.direct.gov.uk/stoploansharks 
  • Could you be eligible for a free or reduced TV licence? Did you know,  you can spread the cost monthly or fortnightly? - visit TV Licensing