Ending your tenancy

The amount of notice you need to give us to end your tenancy depends on your circumstances and the type of property you are moving into.  We have listed the main reasons for ending a tenancy below:

Moving into private accommodation

If you are moving to private accommodation, moving in with family or friends, moving to another council or housing association home (when not nominated by us), or moving to another council by bidding with them:

  • To terminate your tenancy you must give four full weeks' notice in writing, starting from a Monday. You can:
    • Use our online form
    • Write to: Housing Team, White Cliffs Business Park, Dover, CT16 3PJ
    • You or the person with Power of Attorney (proof of which is required) must sign and return our Tenancy Termination Notice

When a tenant dies

If a joint tenant or other family member have been living at the property and hope to remain at the property you may find it useful to read our section on 'Taking over a property after someone has died (Succession)' section.

If the tenancy ends due to the death of a sole tenant and nobody else is left in the property:

  • You should let us know as soon as you can that the property is going to be returned to us and provide us with a copy of the death certificate. 
  • Any payments of Housing Benefit or Universal Credit stop from the first Monday following the death and the full rent is charged to the account.
  • If you are a named 'executor' in the will of the deceased tenant, we can accept a termination form giving 4 weeks notice. This will be signed by you and we will end the tenancy upon receipt of the keys and confirmation that you have cleared the property. Please complete and return this form as soon as possible.
  • If you're a next of kin, please inform us as soon as possible so we can serve a notice to quit and end the tenancy following a 4 week notice period.
  • If the deceased tenant did not have a will and you are not a named executor we may need to serve a notice on the property ourselves to formally end the tenancy. In these circumstances please complete and return this form as soon as possible to notify us of the death.

Moving into care or sheltered housing

If you are moving to sheltered accommodation within the DDC area you do not need to give 4 weeks notice. The Independent Living Manager of the scheme that you are moving to will arrange a start date of your new tenancy with you and you will need to surrender your current tenancy.

If you are moving to sheltered accommodation or a care home inside or outside of the DDC area you must give at least 28 days’ notice for all of these circumstances.

Please note that if you are acting on behalf of the tenant you will need to provide evidence that you have Power of Attorney. 

Transferring to another property within the District

If you are transferring to another Dover District Council property you do not need to give four weeks' notice but please us give as much notice as possible.  The date that the tenancy ends will be determined by the date the keys are returned. You, or the person with Power of Attorney (proof of which is required), must sign the Tenancy Termination Notice.

What to do within your property before you give the keys back

  • You need to clear all your belongings from the property, including any items in the loft, gardens or outbuildings.  We cannot be held responsible for any belongings left in the property.
  • You must leave your home clean and in a good state of repair and decoration.  All cupboards should be swept out and surfaces washed down; the bathroom and lavatory must be thoroughly cleaned.  Any damage to the fittings, or any unauthorised alterations you may have carried out should also be made good before the tenancy end date.

See our moving out checklist.

After leaving your property, if there are works that DDC need to undertake to ensure the property is safe and suitable to be relet, you may be charged for the work that is carried out. This includes rubbish clearances and repairs of damage to the property caused by you, the tenant.

Any work you have done to the property without permission will have to be assessed and removed at cost to you. More information about this is in our Rechargeable Works Policy.


Haven’t found what you’re looking for? Please contact us on tenantinvolvement@dover.gov.uk if you think we have missed information or tell us how we can improve this page.