Who can take in a lodger?

Only secure tenants have the right to take in lodgers (so you cannot do this if you are an introductory or non-secure tenant) and you must get written permission from Dover District Council before they move in.

If you consider taking in a lodger, the following rules apply:

  • Taking in a lodger must not cause your home to be overcrowded
  • If you are claiming benefits you must tell your local Housing Benefit department and the Department for Work and Pensions
  • If you take in a lodger the amount of Housing Benefit you get may well go down as could your other benefits. For example, if you claim single person Council Tax discount you will lose this
  • You will be responsible for your lodger's actions
  • Your lodger will not have security of tenure like you
  • You will be responsible for legally evicting your lodger if you want them to leave
  • You must inform your contents insurance provider to make sure you’re still covered and so you can let your lodger know if they’ll need their own insurance

What happens if my tenancy comes to an end?

Your lodger can only continue to live at the property whilst you have a secure tenancy there.

Back to the main lodger information page