Starting up a food business

Before starting a new food business, or making changes to a current one, it really is worthwhile putting in some research to ensure that the food you handle is safe and that your business complies with the law.
In addition to the guidance available on our food safety pages there is lots of information available to help those starting up.

Registering / Approval of a Food Business

If you are planning to open a new food business, or take over an existing business as the new food business operator, you will need to register the business with us:

Certain food premises that handle, prepare or produce products of animal origin for sale to other food businesses may need to be approved. 

Other Considerations

When setting up a new food business you may also wish to contact one or more of the following teams/government departments for further information:

  • Planning for any change of use of modifications to a building
  • Trading Standards e.g. for advice on food labelling
  • Licensing for alcohol sales, late night refreshment, gaming machines, street trading, outdoors table and chairs
  • Building Control (for requirements for building alterations)
  • Food Standards Agency (for certain food businesses e.g. cutting plants)

The Better Business for All website also has advice on regulatory authorities throughout Kent.


Public Protection Contact