Easing of National Lockdown restrictions | Visit our Coronavirus (COVID-19) section for information and support for residents and businesses. View Dover Districts latest Covid figures here.

Dover District’s latest COVID-19 figures

Number of cases for the seven days to

Rolling rate for the seven days to . England average is

Total cases (up to )

Total deaths within 28 days of a positive test (up to )

7-day rolling case rate compared to England average

Status: Below average (OR Above average if to the right of the dividing line)

Graphic results

All data sourced from coronavirus.data.gov.uk. Please see website for more information about the data and how it is calculated.

Home > Benefits > Council Tax Support > Pension age people and Council Tax Support

Pension age people and Council Tax Support

For Council Tax Support, pension age means anyone who has reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit. If you are pension age, Council Tax Support can cover the whole of your Council Tax bill, depending on your income and household circumstances.

Please note that if you are pension age and in receipt of a working age benefit; for example, Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance (income-based) or Employment and Support Allowance (income-related), you will be treated as a working age applicant and Council Tax Support won't cover the whole Council Tax bill. 

If you have savings of more than £10,000, we will take into account £1 per week for every £500 over £10,000. If you have savings of more than £16,000, you can't normally get Council Tax Support (unless you receive the guarantee credit element of Pension Credit).

Second adult rebate

Second adult rebate is only available for applicants who are of pension age.

Second adult rebate is Council Tax Support that is paid when you share your home with another adult, but the second adult in the property is on a low income. It is paid based on the income of the other adult(s) and can cover up to 25% of your Council Tax charge.

The amount of second adult rebate you can get depends on

  • the Council Tax you have to pay, and
  • the combined gross income of any second adults

You may get second adult rebate if you share your home with one or more adults who are

  • not your partner or civil partner
  • aged 18 or over
  • not paying you rent
  • not paying Council Tax themselves
  • not a joint tenant or owner with you, and
  • on a low income.

Examples of second adults include grown up children, friends and relatives.

Your income and savings won't affect the second adult rebate. How much you can get depends on the income of the second adult(s). If there is more than one second adult in the property, their income is added together to work out this award.

The Council Tax payer must apply for a second adult rebate. To make an application you will need to fill in an application form and give full details of the second adult's income and savings.

If you are a full-time student and share your home with one or more adults who are on a low income, you may claim up to 100% second adult rebate.