Home > Benefits > Council Tax Support > Working age people and Council Tax Support

Working age people and Council Tax Support

If you are working age, Council Tax Support won't cover the whole of your Council Tax bill. You must pay at least 10% of the bill, even if you get benefits or have a low income. 

You won’t be able to get any Council Tax Support if you or your partner have more than £6,000 in savings (unless you or your partner are receiving Jobseeker's Allowance (income-based), Income Support, or Employment and Support Allowance (income-related).

We work out the maximum amount of Council Tax Support you can get based on:

  • you and your partner’s net income, and
  • the number of children you have (up to a maximum of two). 

Your net income means any money you get from:

  • employment
  • self-employment
  • benefits
  • other income, including any money you get from people who lodge with you.

We don’t include (disregard) the following incomes when we work out your net income for Council Tax Support:

  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • child maintenance payments
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • pension contributions 
  • Personal Independence Payments
  • Armed Forces Independence Payments.

If you or your partner get one of the following benefits, you will automatically be placed in the highest band of the scheme and only pay 10% of your Council Tax bill: 

  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance (income-based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-related).

We look at your net income after disregarding the above benefits and work out which band your income falls into. We also disregard £25 for all claimants as an incentive to work and a percentage level of Council Tax Support will then be awarded in line with the table below.

Income bands and discounts


Council Tax Support scheme bands 2020
BandDiscountSingleCoupleFamily with 1 ChildFamily with 2+ Children
    Weekly income Weekly income Weekly income Weekly income
1 90% £0.00 to £109.10 £0.00 to £149.10 £0.00 to £199.10 £0.00 to £249.10 
2 75% £109.11 to £153.65 £149.11 to £193.65 £199.11 to £243.65 £249.11 to £293.65
3 60% £153.66 to £198.20 £193.66 to £238.20 £243.66 to £288.20 £293.66 to £338.20
4 45% £198.21 to £242.75 £238.21 to £282.75 £288.21 to £332.75 £338.21 to £382.75
5 30% £242.76 to £287.30 £282.76 to £327.30 £332.76 to £377.30 £382.76 to £427.30



Council Tax Support scheme bands 2020
BandDiscountSingleCoupleFamily with 1 ChildFamily with 2+ Children
    Weekly income Weekly income Weekly income Weekly income
1 90% £0.00 to £107.20 £0.00 to £147.20 £0.00 to £197.20 £0.00 to £247.20 
2 75% £107.21 to £150.80 £147.21 to £190.80 £197.21 to £240.80 £247.21 to £290.80
3 60% £150.81 to £194.40 £190.81 to £234.40 £240.81 to £284.40 £290.81 to £334.40
4 45% £194.41 to £238.00 £234.41 to £278.00 £284.41 to £328.00 £334.41 to £378.00
5 30% £238.01 to £281.60 £278.01 to £321.60 £328.01 to £371.60 £378.01 to £421.60

Other adults living in your home

If you have someone aged 18 or over living with you (that isn’t your partner), it will affect how much Council Tax Support you get because they are expected to make a contribution towards your household expenses. A standard deduction of £10 per week will be taken from your entitlement for each adult that is living with you (certain exceptions apply). 

Universal Credit and Council Tax Support

If you make a claim for Universal Credit with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), please also make a claim for Council Tax Support. The DWP will let us know that you have claimed Universal Credit and we can then treat that as your claim date for Council Tax Support, as long as you send us any other information we need within one calendar month of us writing to you.


The Council Tax Support scheme has a minimum income of 35 hours a week for people who have been self-employed for over a year. This means that if you work for less than 35 hours a week, we assume you earn at least National Living Wage for 35 hours per week (35 x £9.50). Find out more about Council Tax Support for people who are self employed.

Income disregards

Income disregards are incomes that you receive are ignored by us when we work out how much Council Tax Support to pay you.

If you receive Carer’s Allowance, it will show on your award breakdown as if we have taken this off you, which we have, but we have added it back in as an income disregard of £69.70 per week.

If your circumstances change

You need to tell us straight away if your circumstances change. If your household income goes up or down slightly, it may not affect the amount of Council Tax Support you get. You can look at the income grid above and check if your new income changes the part of the grid that you are currently in. Even if it doesn’t, you still need to let us know about your change. 

Extra help towards your Council Tax

If you get Council Tax Support but still can’t afford to pay your Council Tax, you can apply for an Exceptional Hardship award. An award is not guaranteed, and is considered based on your individual circumstances. If your application is successful then you will receive additional help to pay your Council Tax based on your individual needs. This will not be forever - you will need to work with us and other agencies to receive help and support to improve your financial position.

We recognise the importance of protecting our most vulnerable customers. This fund is in place to ensure that we protect and support those most in need. The Exceptional Hardship Policy fund is intended to help in cases of exceptional financial hardship.

Further information

Please see our frequently asked questions about the Council Tax Support scheme.

Scheme documents

  • Council Tax Support Scheme and Schedules 2022-23 (PDF) - will be added soon
  • Council Tax Support Exceptional Hardship Scheme 2022-23 (PDF) - will be added soon