Home > Benefits > Council Tax Support > Tell us if your circumstances change > Extended payments of Council Tax Support when starting work or increasing your hours

Extended payments of Council Tax Support when starting work or increasing your hours

You must tell us straight away if you start work, increase your hours or your earnings.

If some of your benefit entitlements come to an end because you have started work, increased your hours of work or your earnings, you may be able to continue getting Council Tax Support for up to four weeks.

Who can get extended Council Tax Support?

To get extended Council Tax Support payments, you or your partner must

  • be starting work or increasing your hours; and
  • expect your new work or increased hours to last for five weeks or more; and
  • have had an entitlement to Jobseeker’s Allowance (income-based or contribution-based), Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance, Incapacity Benefit or Severe Disablement Allowance for a continuous period of 26 weeks or more.

Extended Council Tax Support payments are automatically given to you if you are eligible, you don't need to apply for them.

If you're not receiving extended support payments and think you should be, please contact us.

What will happen next?

We will look at your application and work out whether you can get extended Council Tax Support.

If you can we will give you four weeks Council Tax Support at the same rate as before you started work.

If you don't qualify for the extended support, you may still be able to get Council Tax Support if you're on a low income. Please complete a change of circumstances form so we can calculate your award based on your new circumstances.

You must also tell us if you have any other changes in your circumstances that could affect your Council Tax Support.

Contact Benefits

Email: revenues@dover.gov.uk

Phone: 01304 872199