Home > Community > Event Planning > A-Z > Event Planning: Licensing

Event Planning: Licensing

The Licensing Act 2003 came into force in November 2005 and changed the existing laws relating to:

  • public entertainment
  • indoor sporting events
  • indoor or outdoor boxing or wrestling events
  • the sale of alcohol

The following licences are needed:

Premises Licence

A Premises Licence will be required where any of the above activities are going to take place unless the event is small where a Temporary Events Notice can be issued.

Temporary Events Notice

If your event lasts no more than 168 hours and has no more than 499 people attending at any one time (including all staff) you can give a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) to us. There are limits on the number of TEN's that can be applied for.

Where alcohol is to be sold in connection with a premises licence there must be a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) named on the licence.

The TEN must be submitted and served on the responsible authorities (Environmental Health and Police) at the same time.  This MUST be done no later than ten clear working days before the event (this does not include the day of serving or the day of the event). Notices that are served late or not served correctly will be rejected.

There is also the facility to serve a late TEN five working days before an event but these should be used only in exceptional circumstances where an event has not been able to be pre-planned.

The Responsible Bodies

  • The Police
  • DDC's Licensing Team
  • The Health Authority
  • The Fire Service
  • The Area Child Protection Committee (Social Services)
  • Trading Standards
  • The health and safety enforcing authority for the land or premises concerned
  • The Environmental Protection team of Dover District Council
  • Development Control (Planning)

We can only give information and advice regarding legal requirements and the licensing process. We cannot give specific legal advice to applicants regarding specific proposals, which might conflict with our role as the Licensing Authority. Where specific legal advice is required, applicants must seek independent legal advice, or information should be sought from the relevant responsible body.

The following are exempt from licensing under the Act

  • Genuinely private functions
  • Live television and radio broadcasts
  • Garden fêtes and similar not for profit activities
  • Music or plays associated with religious services or meetings
  • Morris dancing or similar
  • Entertainment on a moving vehicle

Further Information